The Burrito Digest

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Taqueria El Charro De San Francisco #1



Taqueria El Charro
3655 East 106th St.
Chicago, IL 60617 MAP
(773) 734-3584
Hours:
N/A

January 1st, 2006. 2:15 p.m.

I can’t believe it’s been over two months since my last review. Working a new job that takes up 70+ hours a week not to mention being on call 24/6 has seriously been eating into my burrito time! So let’s start off 2006 with a trip to Chicago’s East Side and hope we come away happy.

The first thing I noticed walking up to the restaurant was the “cash only” sign on the front door. Okay. The typically decorated festive interior featured the menu along the east wall. Burritos at $3.99 are right on.



The chips had a decent flavor with good thickness and crunch to them. Both salsas were very good. The pico was fairly hot but less so than the other salsa. The pickled carrots and jalapeños were a nice touch as well.

My steak burrito arrived promptly yet was cut in half. Bahh! It contained beans, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and sour cream. The steak was in good quantity and was excellent. No fat or gristle whatsoever. The flavor balance was excellent in this burrito and was extremely satisfying.



You’ll get a great meal at an excellent price at any one of Taqueria El Charro's three locations. There are 14 dinners at $6.99 that include rice, beans, and tortillas. My wife ordered a side of guacamole for $2.50 that was served on a filled-up 6” x 8” plate. If you don’t mind traveling the East Side or the gang graffiti in the bathrooms, you can’t go wrong at Taqueria El Charro.



Weight: 15.7 ounces
Length: 7.5 inches
Circumference: 9 inches
Price: $3.99 or 25.4¢ an ounce
Beer availability: No

Flavor: 8.5/10 sombreros
Value: 9/10 sombreros

5 Comments:

  • Dude, this is an awesome blog. I also travel the country and try steak burritos everywhere I go. I found your blog from your El Amigo review on yahoo. I have also been going there for many years, and as hard as I've tried, I have not been able to find a burrito that even matches theirs. You should try the milanesa burrito. It's breaded steak, and it's killer. If you'd like, I could send you pictures of various burritos I eat in various US cities, as well as any NW Indiana spots you might have missed. I don't have a digital scale, but could take a wild stab at it. I'm also going to Phoenix very soon, and may go to Mexico briefly. And if anyone thinks I'm going to Mexico and not getting a steak burrito, they're sorely mistaken. Leave a comment on my blog if you'd like.

    By Blogger Awesome Jim, at 11:00 PM  

  • Hi,
    Cool blog. (Jim's brother here)

    I wish I could've read this kind of thing when I still lived in the region. There are a lot of good Mexican restaurants there indeed, the best being El Amigo in Schererville. I now live in Oregon, where the Mexican food is good, but there's no place like El Amigo. If you're ever out here, I'd recommend a chain place called MUCHAS GRACIAS. They're pretty good and the fish tacos kick ass.

    By Blogger crallspace, at 11:13 PM  

  • I just moved to NW Indiana from Georgia, and we had a great burrito place there in a little town called Lithia Springs named Chilitos. It was more like a "burrito subway". You picked black or pinto beans, whatever meat you wanted, then all the fixings like cheese, lettuce, pico, hot sauce, and a bunch more. Everyone up here seems to just put refried beans in it and cut it in half, and few steam it. We just started making our own burritos at home, and they are MUCH better than any we found so far. Thanks for the great blog, and your quest for the perfect burrito. I will tell you, the WORST PLACE is "Burritos" over on 45th in Highland. Ordered a steak burrito, and they nuked the steak, put slices of kraft american cheese in it, and called that a burrito. Don't bother even going there, unless you want to blog about how bad it is.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:41 PM  

  • Its a good review from you, you should stop by again I will be glad to invite you a meal on the house. Juan R Vázquez

    By Blogger juan, at 4:24 AM  

  • Update.Ah the old neighborhood.No more wall menu and they now take major credit cards.Burritos now cost $5.50. They are o.k.but not worth the drive if you are not in the neighborhood. 8-14-11

    By Blogger Dave Brickman, at 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home