The Burrito Digest

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Acapulco



Acapulco
1303 34th St. SW
Fargo, ND 58103 MAP
(701) 297-0355
Hours:
Open daily at 11:00 a.m.

October 9th, 2005. 11:15 a.m.

When planning our trip to Winnipeg, Manitoba to visit friends we met on a cruise, I knew I wanted to get in a couple of burrito reviews along the way, eh? Fargo seemed like a good stopping point, and after a quick web search I found Acapulco to be the most favored restaurant in the area.

Chips arrived warm and were very good. The accompanying salsa was thin with a black pepper/vinegar/chili powder taste. It also had scallions in it. Quite different and o.k. at best.

Unfortunately there was no steak burrito offered as an a la carte item. The waiter directed me to the “Acapulco Burrito” which was described as “A large flour tortilla grilled with strips of carne asada, beans, tomatoes, rice, onions, guacamole, lettuce, cilantro, and jalapeños.” The burrito was also supposed to have a sauce on top, which I asked not to be added so I could eat it with my hands. I suddenly had a flashback to my visit to El Bracero back in June (that’s not good). When the food arrived my first impression was not good. The burrito was in no means large, it was folded open ended (see El Bracero), and barely weighed over one pound. For $9.75 I did not even get rice and beans on the side. This burrito is the poorest value on a cost per ounce basis by far. I will say that the steak was very good but unfortunately in small quantity. The rest of the filling seemed like just that – filling. The cheese appeared to be of the Kraft shredded variety, not authentic Mexican by any means.

Acapulco left me and my wife thoroughly underwhelmed. Even her chile relleño was lacking in flavor and substance. I can’t recommend Acapulco, and we won’t be going back.



Weight: 16.2 ounces
Length: 9.25 inches
Circumference: 7.5 inches
Price: $9.75 or 60.2¢ an ounce
Beer availability: Yes

Flavor: 5/10 sombreros
Value: 2/10 sombreros

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home