The Burrito Digest

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Taqueria Los Comalitos


Taqueria Los Comalitos
6929 Calumet Avenue
Hammond, IN 46324 MAP
(219) 852-0380
Hours:
Monday - Saturday: 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Sunday: 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Update: July 17th, 2008.

CLOSED!

June 4th, 2005. 4:00 p.m.

My wife and I were coming back from the Livin’ It skate/BMX ministry in Tinley Park, Illinois when hunger hit us both. After dodging rain, we hopped into a restaurant neither of us had been to before.

We quickly attacked the chips and salsa the second the waiter put them on the table. The chips were good (above average) and the salsa was on the hot side. The waiter brought out some pico de gallo at no charge when my wife asked if they had anything milder. The pico was very good and had a limey taste, which I liked. There were also a couple of squeeze bottles that contained a hot salsa verde and a red salsa that was very similar to the salsa that came with the chips.

I must say I was immediately disappointed upon seeing my steak burrito cut in half AND with a grilled tortilla. You can check out my reviews of Rancho Grande and El Señor Sombrero to see why I was dismayed. Digging into the first half of the burrito I felt like I was eating a bean burrito that contained some steak. The steak I did encounter was on the fatty side. I couldn’t get the flavor of the steak due to the overwhelming amount of beans. The second half of the burrito faired better with less beans and more steak. What I experienced here and have before elsewhere could be described as poor ingredient distribution. The steak did have a good flavor to it but was drawn down by the fattiness. In addition to the steak and beans, the burrito contained rice, lettuce, tomato and cheese.

Los Comalitos offers up an average steak burrito with pretty good value. With the large number of Mexican restaurants in Hammond and nearby East Chicago (which I plan on visiting soon!), I feel you can find someplace more satisfying with comparable value.



Weight: 19.5 ounces
Length: 8.5 inches
Circumference: 9.5 inches
Price: $5.45 or 27.9¢ an ounce
Beer availability: No

Flavor: 5/10 sombreros
Value: 8/10 sombreros

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home