The Burrito Digest

Thursday, May 26, 2005

El Caliente



El Caliente
2486 W. 81st Avenue
Merrillville, IN 46410 MAP
(219) 757-3876
Hours:
Monday - Sunday: 10:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Update: March 25th, 2008.

CLOSED!

May 26th, 2005. 11:30 a.m.

Today I was very hungry. I was running on a glass of milk and some vitamins since 6 a.m. What better way to fill one’s gullet than feasting on a steak burrito!

This was my first trip to El Caliente which according to their website has been open since February of 2004.

Their steak burrito contained beans, lettuce, tomato, and cheese. Included on the side were lettuce and a cup of sour cream. Initial impressions of the flavor were hard to pin down. “Tastes like roast beef”, I thought. After a few bites I came to the realization that I was actually eating more of a pot roast burrito than a steak burrito. This notion was confirmed by the 3 chunks of fat (one was half the size of my pinky finger) that had the unpleasantly familiar “jellied” consistency you find in grandma’s pot roast. There was also not much cheese in this burrito. I had to poke around a bit to find it blended in ever so slightly with the lettuce.

The chips were average and were accompanied by salsa, salsa verde, and pico de gallo. All salsas had good flavor although the pico de gallo was a little heavy on the onion or light on tomato depending on how you might view it.

All in all, El Caliente delivered a very uninspiring meal comprised of good value and not so good taste. My hunger was satisfied but not my taste buds.



Weight: 16.6 ounces
Length: 7.25 inches
Circumference: 9 inches
Price: $4.85 or 29.2¢ an ounce
Beer availability: No

Flavor: 4/10 sombreros
Value: 8/10 sombreros

3 Comments:

  • I like the other food at El Caliente, but not their burritos or location, (which is almost impossible to get to if you're coming eastbound down rte. 30) or their unusual and unpredictable hours. Although it's a decent place, it will be gone in a few months.

    By Blogger Awesome Jim, at 11:37 PM  

  • They despritly need some help in the Kitchen!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:40 AM  

  • I never knew they existed! These restaurants in Merrillville are always so obscure and short-lived.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home