The Burrito Digest

Friday, April 22, 2005

San Pedro's



San Pedro’s
1239 West 37th Ave. (Ridge Road)
Hobart, IN 46342 MAP
(219) 947-4449
Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Friday - Saturday: 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Sunday: 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

April 22nd, 2005. Around 11:20 a.m.

San Pedro’s is a little more “upscale” than most of the burrito joints I like to frequent although the prices are reasonable. The interior is more sophisticated and the menu is varied to include many dinner platters and combinations. They even serve wine as well as beer (10 imports and 10 domestics!) and mixed drinks.

My burrito arrived promptly with a salad on the side (shredded lettuce and a tomato wedge). The steak burrito was just under one pound and contained beans, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and sour cream.

On the first bite my mouth was greeted by a piece of gristle. Not the size or toughness that would lead one to yack it into a napkin, but enough for you to take notice and just try and get it down. The same thing happened on the second bite. Uh oh. The third was fine and on it went. About half the bites I took contained gristle. Not good. I actually stopped eating the burrito about half way through to chow on some chips and salsa. This was the highlight of my meal.

The chips were the kind that when fried up formed big air pockets inside them and wind up being layered, for lack of a better description. I love that! It’s kind of like extra space to hold salsa and salt. The salsa was excellent as well. Just the right amount of heat and very smooth.

I went on to finish the burrito, but this time I added hot sauce and a dash of salt to every bite. Indeed, in addition to being gristly, the flavor of the steak was lacking.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend San Pedro’s for the steak burrito or anything containing steak for that matter.



Weight: 15.9 ounces
Length: 7.5 inches
Circumference: 9.5 inches
Price: $5.50 or 34.6¢ an ounce
Beer availability: Yes

Flavor: 5/10 sombreros
Value: 7/10 sombreros

1 Comments:

  • I can't vouch for the steak dishes, but the pork and chicken dishes are very good (I know this blog is specifically for STEAK burritos, but I love this restaurant and want to put in a good word for it). And I agree with you on the chips and salsa; they're the best in the area.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home