The Burrito Digest

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Chachan City Burritos



Chachan City Burritos
9071 E. 109th St.
Crown Point, IN 46307 MAP
(219) 663-0600
Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Friday-Saturday: 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m.
Sunday: 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.

Update: December 31st, 2010.

OUT OF BUSINESS - FALL 2010.

May 7th, 2005. 5:30 p.m.

I thought I’d start this post with a history of Chachan City and its influence on the flavor of Mexican food (Mayan, Aztec, etc.) Instead I found out it’s just a name. Oh well. They also bill themselves as “The Home of the Gigantic Burrito”. We’ll see about that…

The restaurant opened in early November 2004 in the strip mall across from the Church of the Four Seasons. The first time I visited the restaurant with some friends we were quite surprised that chips and salsa were not free but instead $2.50. Ugh. The second time we visited about a month later chips and salsa were free, they brought out a free sample of a seafood tostada, and gave each of us a coupon for buy one burrito get one free. SWEET! Some of the menu prices were lowered as well. Obviously, charging for chips and salsa at a Mexican restaurant turns away customers.

So my wife and I went several weeks later to use our burrito coupon for this review.

Our chips were warm and accompanied by a bowl of salsa that was on the smallish side. The salsa was mild but good. We quickly ran out of salsa and when my wife asked for more they gave her a Nyquil sized plastic cup full. Room for improvement here.

The burrito had an excellent steak flavor with no noticeable fat or gristle. It contained beans, cheese, lettuce, and tomato all in good balance. The beans were spicy and I really liked how they added to the overall flavor of the burrito. This one definitely stood out.

Chachan City comes away with an excellent steak burrito at an outstanding value. Why not perfect? I don’t know. I have this notion that when I reach steak burrito nirvana that I’ll pass out or something from the experience. Visit them if you get a chance.



Weight: 17.6 ounces
Length: 6.25 inches
Circumference: 9.625 inches
Price: $3.85 or 21.9¢ an ounce
Beer availability: No

Flavor: 9/10 sombreros
Value: 9/10 sombreros

18 Comments:

  • Way to advertise the church! If we get any new members from your page, I'll take you Chachan City and buy you a burrito!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:23 PM  

  • I can't believe there's a Mexican place in my hometown that I didn't know about. And based on your review, I need to get over there right away.

    By Blogger Awesome Jim, at 11:48 PM  

  • Hi!! I have to say that this burrito at Chachan is the BEST burrito I have had in 20 years!!!! Before that I had one somewhere in Chicago and I could never find that restaurant again for the lack of visiting that area I suppose. I will definately be back for that STEAK BURRITO !! I can't wait!!!

    Debbie
    C.P. IN.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:53 PM  

  • la comida de este restaurante es la mejor que emos probado desde que salimos de chachan. un soludo para los cosineros,lupe[el perris],chio y lucio .un saludo para la familia gonzales sanchez ...sigan asi!!!!!arriva chachan city,villanueva,zac.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:25 PM  

  • the best mexican food in northwest indiana,the steak burritos are the best and they give you free chips and salsa if you dine in.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:01 PM  

  • chachan is the real authentic mexican food the steak burritos ans tacos are great.

    By Blogger joe g, at 7:17 PM  

  • the business is for sale i thing they asking $100,000

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:36 PM  

  • wow!!! they brought free chips and salsa when you dine in... and the steak burritos are the best that I had in my life.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:27 PM  

  • Just had one. I swear by them. I wish they werent selling. Today the sale price is 65000. Go there today and help keep this awesome food around

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:18 PM  

  • business is for sale $50,000.......

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:17 PM  

  • Really? I mean really? I traveled 30 min. to try what you all described as the BEST steak burrito and I just can't imagine what you've had to compare because this one was just ok.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say it was bad it just wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination. You might want to try Casa del Mar in Munster for steak burritos or Casa Blanca in East Chicago for the best steak taco in NW Indiana. Pork would be El Taco Real in North Hammond. Much better guac and salsa at all locations also.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:41 PM  

  • Took my 40 min drive to find out the place was CLOSED! I am thinking it is closed for good!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:23 PM  

  • I was working with those guys for four years. best bosses i've ever had. best burrito on the planet. they got tired of traveling every day from oak forest to the lakes of the four seasons.. sucks..

    By Anonymous Jason Smith, at 1:09 PM  

  • Closed up for good.12-31-10

    By Anonymous Dave Brickman, at 5:02 PM  

  • U know the person who sellin it or if is been sold or the number of the seller ... Thank u

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:05 PM  

  • Does anybody knows the number of the seller of this restaurant I'm interest in buying it,,, thanks

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:42 PM  

  • What happened to our burrito host. I dont think he has posted anything since 2011. Did he move?Is he dead, lost intrest or what?
    Dave Brickman 12-17-12

    By Blogger Dave Brickman, at 5:25 PM  

  • Again , where are you John? 4-19-13

    By Blogger Dave Brickman, at 12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home