The Burrito Digest

Friday, July 08, 2005

La Bamba



La Bamba
1905 Glenn Park Avenue
Champaign, IL 61821 MAP
(217) 355-6600
Hours:
Monday – Sunday: 11 a.m. to ?

July 8th, 2005. 5:00 p.m.

When I first conceived this blog I knew I had to include a review of La Bamba. Their slogan, “Burritos as big as your head!” is well known at Big Ten campuses as well as other college towns and cities throughout the Midwest. I first ate at La Bamba at their Carbondale, Illinois (Southern Illinois University) location in 1992. At that time there were seven locations (I still have the plastic cup to prove it!) and they have since grown to 25 locations in 5 states. Check out their website for more info. The Burrito Digest chose the home of La Bamba in Champaign, Illinois for this review.



You are always treated to plenty of wall paintings featuring the “Burrito Man” when you visit a La Bamba restaurant. You order from the limited menu at the counter and the food is prepared right in front of you. No table service here. Of course this means there are no complimentary chips and salsa and that affects the value rating.

La Bamba Burritos come in Mini, Regular, or Super sizes. I probably should have ordered the Super (for $1.16 more), but a lack of a big appetite directed me to the Regular. I’ll review the Super someday and post it as an addendum to this review.

The steak in this burrito was chopped and cubed into quite small pieces and was mixed with beans, lettuce, tomato, onion and cheese. I hate to say this, but the flavor was rather bland. It was as if the steak had no flavor whatsoever, just texture. This is not how I remembered La Bamba. I used salt and either salsa verde or salsa casera on every bite. I also felt that the tortilla could have been filled a little more. There was one small piece of gristle that was no big deal.

La Bamba is a must visit anytime you are near one if only to experience what makes this family owned chain so successful. I would be interested in hearing other’s comments to see if their experience was similar to mine. I look forward to reviewing a Super size at a different location in the future.



Weight: 16.7 ounces
Length: 8 inches
Circumference: 8.5 inches
Price: $4.63 or 27.7¢ an ounce
Beer availability: No

Flavor: 6.5/10 sombreros
Value: 6.5/10 sombreros

2 Comments:

  • Well, the super burrito is pretty damn long, but just as bland. I mean they don't have great tasting food, but being able to get a giant burrito at 3 am while you're all wasted is a very nice luxury, even if it is bland. I also find the wall paintings to be ridiculous and racist. Some Mexican guy in mariachi garb eating the burrito while looking so serene and at one with the universe, while next to him sits some white guy with the burrito exploding from his hands, screaming in utter shock and horror, causing him to squeeze the burrito even harder. Oh, so white guys can't eat burritos without causing themselves emotional stress and walking out with $6 of burrito all down their shirt? Stupid. I'm white and Mexican, so I'm doubly annoyed by this.

    By Blogger Awesome Jim, at 11:18 PM  

  • Tastes better at 2a.m.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home