The Burrito Digest

Monday, May 21, 2007

Steak Burritos



Steak Burritos
3028 W. 45th Street
Highland, IN 46322 MAP
(219) 924-6667
Hours:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Sunday: Closed

May 21st, 2007. 5:30 p.m.

What an ideal name for a restaurant to be reviewed by this blog. The name is rather deceiving, though, as you look at their menu and can order a Chicago Style hot dog, gyro, Philly cheesesteak, Italian beef sandwich, or a Maxwell Street Polish. Not typical fare at a Mexican restaurant (which this obviously wasn’t). Not surprisingly, complimentary chips and salsa are not offered, although two small tubs of thin, runny hot sauce are.



My steak burrito contained beans, tomato, cheese, onion, and too much lettuce (as seen below). The flavor of the steak was okay, although there was not enough of it to fully satisfy (again, too much lettuce). The steak was, however, not greasy and contained no fat or gristle. Most odd about this burrito was the cheese, which did not make an appearance until more than halfway through. The cheese was in fact…American.

Hmmm. Not much else to say about this place except there’s no real reason to go there. American cheese??



Weight: 15.4 ounces
Length: 7.5 inches
Circumference: 9.75 inches
Price: $4.09 or 26.6¢ an ounce
Beer availability: No

Flavor: 5.5/10 sombreros
Value: 6.5/10 sombreros

1 Comments:

  • I finally decided to give this place a try last night. I ordered a chicken burrito instead of a steak burrito. I think somebody there may have read this blog because my burrito didn't have quite as much lettuce. Actually, the balance of ingredients was quite good. There wasn't much cheese, but I don't digest cheese very well, so that was actually a good thing. As a whole, it reminded me more of the dearly departed Fresh Stuffed Pitas that Wendy's used to serve (I still mourn the loss of that menu item) than a burrito. I think I would've enjoyed it more had the chicken been a bit juicier and cut into smaller pieces, but I'm not complaining. The bottom line: if you're looking for an authentic Mexican burrito, don't waste your time here; but if you happen to be in the area and are looking for a good meal at a good price, I recommend it. This is a gyro place that happens to serve tacos, burritos, fajitas, and tostadas. I dined with my parents. Mom had a Philly, Dad had a Polish, and it was thumbs up all around.

    By Anonymous Don K., at 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home